Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Playing Catch-up : Lemon Angel Food Cake, Stuffed shells, Mexican Penne, Florentine Cups

So right after I said I would try to be better at posting on here our laptop battery charger stopped working.  I don't remember most of the things I've made lately, but  I did manage to get a couple pictures to post on here. 

I've also had a rough time coming up with new recipes.  I have the entire box that I need to go through, but turns out nothing in there is very healthy.  So we won't be eating them every night like I planned.

Angel Food Cake Dessert

The dessert I was so excited to make was Lemon Angel Food Cake Filled with Lemon Curd and Fresh Raspberry.  It was going to be perfect.  It used all my leftover egg whites and lemon curd from my recipes before.  (I froze the egg whites I didn't use in ice cube trays so they were ready for this recipe.)  I didn't see how it could be bad!

Jenna rates is 1 out of 5
Tony rates is 2 out of 5 (If I remember right)

We were so disappointed.  I spent all night making this and it was horrible!  I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but it was too sweet for even me. (I am not one of those people that think desserts are too rich or too sweet.  In fact, I think this was a first.)  I think it was the glaze on top.  It was just not good.  We both choked down a piece and then Tony just ate the raspberries.  So sad!



Stuffed Shells

This is a recipe that I just made up one day when we were avoiding dairy. It changes every time I make it (as you can see since there is a lot of dairy in it now) and I don't measure anything.  Not the easiest to write a recipe for.  We love it though.  We used to leave out all the cottage cheese and use the non dairy cheese grated instead of regular.  It wasn't bad, but it's better with real cheese.


Jenna rates it 4 1/2 out of 5
Tony likes it but I didn't ask what he rates it.  I'll have to remember to do that.

Jumbo shells
1 lb. ground meat. (We use buffalo, but turkey or ground beef would be good)
Diced onion
Minced garlic
Parmesan cheese
Bread crumbs
1 Egg
Cottage cheese
Pasta sauce (We love Neman's Own- Sockarooni)
Mozzerella Cheese
italian seasoning

Boil shells for a couple minutes (So they are cooked, but not quite al dente).  Brown meat and add some diced onion and minced garlic.  I usually dump in a bunch of parmesan cheese , bread crumbs, cottage cheese, half a bag of mozzerella cheese, italian seasoning and sometimes an egg (if it's not sticking together well).   Mix it all together and stuff it into the shells.  Put in a 9 x 13 pan and put pasta sauce on top. Sprinkle with the leftover cheese and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes. I think this usually makes about 30 shells.



I didn't take a picture of this one, but there are pictures if you click the link to the recipe.  It was okay, but it really just made me want chips and a big bowl of salsa.

Jenna rates it 3 out of 5
I'll have to ask Tony on this one too. :)



Mini Florentine Cups
These were pretty good little appetizers.  I didn't buy enough turkey so mine were over stuffed.  I think they would stand up better if I had done it with the right amount of filling.  They were pretty good reheated the next day too.
Jenna rates it 4 out of 5
(I forgot to ask Tony again, but I know he liked them)

1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, cooked, well drained
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup cream cheese
1 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
24 slices Oscar Mayer shaved Oven Roasted Turkey Breast  (2 packages)

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients except turkey until well blended

Flatten turkey slices; place 1 slice in each of 24 miniature muffin pan cups.  Fill each with 1 1/2 tsp. of the spinach mixture

Bake 15 min. or until heated through.  Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why the cake didn't work. It looks delicious! And so do the stuffed shells.

    ReplyDelete